Your dream of studying in Australia will involve several important steps. You have first to choose a university and a course. In addition, you have to complete the application process timely, have good results in competitive examinations, receive an offer letter from your chosen university, etc. But, the most important part is applying for and getting the Student Visa Subclass 500.
But how can you apply for it? Or, what are the documents you need to submit during the application? These are the things you have to know, and for that, this write-up will help you.
What Is The Student Visa Subclass 500?
If you want to enroll in a short-term diploma or a full-time degree course as an overseas student, you must have a Subclass 500 Visa. This visa will allow you to pursue higher education in an Australian educational institute. Here we give a complete list of types of study that you can undertake with this visa in your hand.
- Higher Education (Graduate)
- VET (Vocational Education and Training)
- Postgraduate Research
- Primary and Secondary Schools
- Non-award Courses
- Independent English Language Intensive Courses for international students
For How Long Can The Visa Be Valid?
Student Visa Subclass 500 is a temporary visa that allows a student to stay for a maximum of 5 years in Australia. During this period, the student can enjoy the following privileges.
- They can travel to and from Australia as many times as they want.
- Once the course starts, the students can work for up to 20 hours per week. During course breaks or holidays, they can work full-time.
What Are The Requirements To Obtain An Australian Student Visa?
If you want to apply for the Student Visa 500 successfully, you have to fulfill specific requisites.
- This visa allows students who are 6 years old or more.
- You must get enrolled in a study course in a registered institution, and you have to provide evidence in support of that.
- You must fulfill the GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) requirement.
- English language proficiency is a must. Results of tests like IELTS, TOEFL, etc., will be required.
- You must have sufficient financial strength to cover all the expenses during the 5-year stay.
- You should meet the specific character and health conditions.
- From the day of your arrival, you must have your health insurance cover.
- If you are a minor (under 18 years of age), you must have the necessary welfare arrangements. This condition doesn’t apply to applicants who are over 18.
- At the time of application, you cannot hold any other Australian visa.
- You should confirm that you will stay for a temporary period and go back to your home country after completing your study.
What Are The Essential Documents Needed For The Australian Student Visa Application?
You can read the ‘Documents Checklist Tool’ on the Department of Home Affairs website to get an idea of what documents you need for the application. Make sure that you get the most updated one as it is updated on 31 March and 31 September of every year.
Documents you should arrange before proceeding with the application include:
- A valid passport
- Confirmation Of Enrolment (CoE) issued by your university
- Filled out the Australian student visa application form
- GTE statement, confirming that you are here to study and will go back after your course is over
- Professional and academic transcripts, if applicable
- English language test scorecard
- Passport-size photographs
- Health insurance policy details
- Proof of financial ability such as a bank account statement
- Details of welfare arrangements for applicants under 18
How Can You Apply For A Visa?
You must start your application process a minimum of 6 weeks before your course starts. As the visa grant process may take a longer period to complete, you must have enough time to complete the application. Follow this 4-step procedure to submit your application.
- Step 1: Create your account on the website of the Australian Immigration Department (or Department of Home Affairs).
- Step 2: Complete the application form 157A.
- Step 3: After filling out the details, you should upload the essential documents discussed above.
- Step 4: The Immigration Department will send you a unique transaction number for the application, using which you can check your application status.
What Is A Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)?
For Visa Subclass 500, you have to fulfill the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement. As the name indicates, it is a statement that confirms that the applicant wants to come to Australia for a genuine purpose and has no intention to stay forever. For a student visa, that purpose will be to study. While assessing your application, the Immigration Department will consider the following elements.
- Home country circumstances
- Potential Circumstances in Australia
- Prospects of the course
- History of immigration
What Opportunities Can You Get After Graduating From An Australian Institute?
Demand for international employees in Australia is high, and therefore, after graduating from an Australian educational institute, you can apply for a special work visa. Several work visa categories are available for overseas students in Australia, and some of them will help you gain essential points for obtaining permanent residency. The available visa types are:
- Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485
- Training and Research Visa Subclass 402
- Regional Sponsored Visa Subclass 487
- Skilled Regional Residence Visa Subclass 887
- Skilled Independent Residence Visa Subclass 885
- Skilled Sponsor Resident Visa Subclass 886
Some Frequently Asked Questions
- How much money should you have to apply for the Australian Student Visa?
You have to show that you have enough money to cover travel, tuition, and living costs. From February 2018, the standard annual amount one must have to stay in Australia is AUD 20290.
- Is the student visa easy to get?
Relative to other countries, an Australian student visa is relatively simple to obtain. Once you have your acceptance letter and CoE from your chosen university, you can start your application procedure. However, do not forget to gather other documents.
- What is the visa application cost in Australia?
Currently, the application cost for the Student Visa 500 is AUD 630. Arranging the Overseas Student Health Cover or OSHC is necessary for the visa application. You have to arrange it for you and your family members included in the application, and it must remain valid throughout your stay.
- Can you bring your family members to Australia on a student visa?
Yes, Student Visa 500 allows an applicant to bring family members to Australia. You can easily bring your spouse and dependent children who are expected to be under 18. But before that, you must provide evidence that you can support them financially.
- Can you apply for a permanent residency while studying?
No, you cannot apply for an Australian PR as a student. After graduation, you have to make a separate application for it.
How Can You Get Help With The Application?
A Migration Agent in Perth can offer you great help with the application. Any visa application involves numerous steps, and there is a high chance of missing an important one while applying independently. A professional and experienced migration agent can tell you the exact method you should follow to complete the application without much difficulty.